Do you struggle to communicate your value? And as a result, are you underpaid and underappreciated? Or perhaps you’ve missed out on exciting opportunities, promotions, or new clients?
Struggle no more! In this episode, Trudy Rankin of West Island Digital and I discuss how you can build your self worth and ‘sell’ yourself and your services with confidence.
Now, when I say “sell”, I mean: being able to confidently communicate your value so you can get paid what you’re worth and take advantage of all the valuable opportunities that come your way. And this is particularly for the ladies listening. (Fellas, there is still plenty of relevant content for you, but as you’ll find out from Trudy, this is something she sees most commonly in women.)
Trudy runs West Island Digital, a consultancy that helps small/medium businesses set up online tools and processes. She’s passionate about helping people set up online businesses, and is also the founder of Get Clear on Your Career, a coaching business and membership site that provides coaching and support to women over 40 who want to take their next career step.
As she runs a number of businesses, Trudy is no stranger to having to sell herself and her services, and through her work, also encounters many people who struggle to sell themselves as new business owners, or in a new career.
So if you get nervous at the thought of asking for a raise or a promotion, or if you’re a business owner and feel extremely uncomfortable telling people the price of your services, or if you find yourself discounting your prices or undercharging, this episode is for you!
Notes from the episode:
- How Trudy struggled to communicate her value when she got started in business — and even gave expensive products away for free!
- Women are often socialised to NOT ask for sales
- Women often take ‘rejection’ to mean “They don’t like me”, rather than “They don’t like the idea”
- Research has shown that when women try new things, if they’re not immediately rewarded, they’ll give up
- How Trudy overcame the challenge of communicating value to her managers in her corporate career
- How to tell if you’re holding yourself back: “Competing Commitments” or the 5 Whys – WHY am I not achieving this?
- It’s much easier to be confident in the price you’re charging if YOU see the value in what you provide
- Get feedback – ask people what you bring to the table
- How to have a sales conversation: have a realistic view of the value you’re presenting, and do your research
- Don’t assume people will give you feedback! You HAVE to ask for it.
- See Trudy’s work at West Island Digital
- Trudy’s coaching business and community for women over 4o: Get Clear On Your Career
- Click here to access the framework we talked about
- Book: Million Dollar Consulting (Trudy’s affiliate link)
- Listen to the interview I did with Christopher Browning on finding your strengths
- Come have a chat with me at the next League of Extraordinary Women meetup! (not an affiliate link)
- Want to talk about yourself with confidence? Join my free Small Talk Made Simple class!