Apart from your message, there is one critical thing to consider: who is your audience?
Many people simply dive into the content of their presentation without properly taking the audience into account. As a result, their message doesn’t connect, the audience loses engagement, and the speaker wonders why they aren’t making an impact.
To be a truly effective speaker, you need to know your audience on a deep level, like they are your best friend!
Here’s why knowing your audience is so important:
- Your message will resonate and connect
- Your audience will be more engaged
- You will spend less time preparing
- You will feel better and less anxious about the presentation, as it shifts the focus from yourself to the audience
Yes, knowing your audience will help to reduce your anxiety. Because when we see our audience members as human – just like us – with their own fear, insecurities, challenges and motives, we shift our focus to THEM, instead of focusing on ourselves and our own fears.
So how do you learn how to understand your audience?
In this episode, I share 8 key questions to ask about your audience. Not only will this help you prepare your presentation, it will save you time AND stress in the lead-up.
8 questions to ask about your audience:
- What is the demographic?
- What is their knowledge of this topic?
- What is their relationship to me?
- How many people will be there?
- Why will they be there?
- What are their biggest challenges?
- How will a presentation on this topic be of benefit to them?
- What will their energy levels be like?