“Even though people often resist this idea, I think we are all in the business of selling ourselves, selling our ideas, selling our contribution, and unless you’ve got strong presenting and communication skills, it’s really hard to sell that.”
Think you can sit in your corner at work with your headphones plugged in AND achieve great things in your company? Think again!
I believe that strong communication and presentation skills are CRITICAL if you want to be successful at work and in business, which is why I am so excited to have the lovely and talented Belinda Huckle as my guest this week.
Belinda is the Managing Director of secondnature, an executive training firm that specialises in business presentation and communication skills. She is passionate about helping people in business be more confident, clear and compelling when they speak, and believes that finding your unique presentation style and being authentic are key to being an effective communicator.
Notes from the episode:
- Belinda saw that the communication skills and presentation skills training industry was “stuck in the 1970s” – she wanted to provide a smarter, more sustainable way of delivering training, so she founded secondnature.
- She focuses on providing sustainable training – that is, teaching skills that are transferable to the real world, and stick with people.
- Effects of strong communication skills – “I firmly believe that presentation and communication skills are absolutely essential for people’ s professional and personal success.”
- Even if you’re not a top-tier manager, you still need to build the confidence and find your ‘voice’: “I think that [in business and at work] if you don’t have a voice, you don’t get heard, and if you don’t get heard, there’s a danger you’re going to get left behind.”
- The most common problem people suffer from in business: they “show up and throw up”!
- You don’t need to present the facts and figures – anyone can read off a powerpoint. What’s the STORY behind the data? The story is what makes you stand out.
- Belinda shares why authenticity is so important, and one step you can take to be more authentic at work.
- If you’re a leader – think about the qualities of leaders you admire. Do you think your team would want to see those qualities in you?
- Belinda reveals what she struggled with when she first started giving workplace presentations, and how she overcame it.
- I also mention Sally Hogshead’s ‘Fascination Advantage’ personality test. Click here to do the test.
Get in touch with Belinda: