Want to promote yourself and your work in a way that feels good? Join the FREE 10-day Small Talk Made Simple class and start communicating with more impact and confidence. Click here to join the class!
How well do you know yourself?
This week, I’ve had the privilege of speaking with the vibrant and insightful Samantha Sacchi from The Self Club.
In this conversation, Samantha explains what self awareness is, why we can’t rationalise our way to success and happiness, and why it’s so important to be your own best friend.
Samantha is an international, purpose-driven human, a coach, entrepreneur and trainer specialized in leadership and emotional intelligence. Through The Self Club, she gives people the tools and real-life experiences to know and love yourself fully so you enjoy life consciously and freely – being fully YOU and connecting with others from that space.
She also has a company in Spain that takes people to the Camino, a spiritual walk in the North of Spain and is a trainer at Insight Academy in Melbourne.
Connect with Samantha:
Notes from the episode:
- Self awareness is: 1: internal awareness (what you perceive about yourself) and 2: how aware you are of how OTHERS see you.
- Knowing and understanding yourself is infinite. The inner world is INFINITE, as expansive as the universe.
- First level of awareness: noticing your physical feelings, thoughts and emotions. Beocme an OBSERVER of the thought.
- The inner critic, voice in our head, when we want to do something meaningful, the voice says “Who do you think you are?”
- The voice CAN be useful, but you have to recognise when it’s not.
- How Samantha became her own best friend. ACCEPT where she is, where she is going, who she is going.
- “There is no amount of rational thought that can make you feel love or fulfilment or inner peace.”
- “If self awareness starts anywhere, it is to identify your USEFUL THOUGHTS and your UNHELPFUL thoughts.”
- You’re not going to reach self confidence through a rational, logical process. Ie degrees, years experience.
- You DECIDE to believe in yourself, and decide to be self confident.
- Human beings are not rational beings. 85-92% of what we do is SUBCONSCIOUS. We think we are being logical, but we’re not. Life is so much bigger than what we can logically comprehend.
- SURRENDER to something bigger than yourself. Life is infinitely complex, you will never be able to understand it all, so just ACCEPT and SURRENDER.
- It’s ok to not be in control. Our brain wants to create certainty for our survival. It’s normal that letting go of control is SCARY.
- Emotions are physical, not instinctual. When we get out of our head, and into our body, we get clarity.
- Healing is done through the body. When we name the emotion and we allow ourselves to feel it HEALING happens, because we are acknowledging a part of ourselves.
- It’s appropriate to feel frustrated or angry. If you don’t allow yourself to feel it, it gets stuck in your body. You cry, or get violent, or overreact, they react to something seemingly small. It’s a sign of your emotion being repressed.
- It has to come out eventually. When we name them and FEEL them, we would be more healthy emotionally.
- Say: “I feel sad right now”. Sadness is not good or bad, it just IS. And it’s there to give us information. Change the way you VIEW your emotions. Give yourself space to allow it. Don’t SHAME the emotion.
- You can learn a lot about yourself when you can experience your negative emotions. Many beautiful things come from sadness.