You may have noticed a number of my recent podcasts have been mindset-focused, and less about the actual skill of speaking and communication.
Why? Because you can learn all the tools and techniques on how to prepare for a presentation, how to communicate with your boss and colleagues, structuring your ideas, and so on, BUT if your mindset isn’t in the right place; if you don’t truly believe in what you’re saying, if you let your fear overcome you — it’s very difficult to implement all of these things effectively. And this is why a big part of the work I do with my coaching clients is around developing a success mindset FIRST.
In this episode, we’ll be addressing one aspect of a success mindset, and it’s called the identity mindset, or how you see yourself. I was first introduced to this concept by my business coach, the wonderful Farnoosh Brock. We worked through it together, and I found it so powerful, I want to share it with you here.
If you are feeling stuck in your career, or in your business, and you aspire to get to the next level, or maybe you simply want to make big changes in your life, but something is holding you back — listen in! This may be the key to helping you unlock your potential and move forward. You’ll be challenged to think differently about yourself, which may be scary, but it will absolutely be worth it.
How to adopt new identities and let go of the old:
1. Think about an area of your life where you’re not making progress. Maybe it’s at work; perhaps you want to move up in your company, get more confident at speaking, lead meetings effectively or engage with your team better.
2. What is your current identity around that? How do you see yourself? How do OTHERS see you? Write down what comes to mind, for example: “I am a manager.” “I’m just a support to my boss.” “I am a mediator.”
3. How has this identity led to behaviour that does not serve or help you? Have you been behaving in a certain way to fulfil these expectations of others? Write it down!
4. What identity do you need to take in order to achieve success? How does a person with this desirable identity act? What do they say? How do they dress? Write some affirmations to remind yourself of this new identity!
5. What identity do you need to let go of? Write affirmations. Say goodbye to that old identity that no longer serves you.
Mentioned on the podcast:
I am thrilled to be a featured speaker on Caroline Garnet McGraw’s free Confidence Course Video Series! If you want to further your journey towards overcoming self doubt and kicking perfectionism in the guts, make sure you sign up. The course starts January 9, so it IS time sensitive. Sign up for free by clicking here.