Jocelyn Chia is a rising star in standup comedy.
Originally from Singapore, she is now based in New York where she leaves audiences in stitches with her carefully crafted stories and jokes about life, culture and being Asian.
A lawyer-turned comedian, she was featured on cnbc.com for winning the Gotham Comedy Club’s Funniest Lawyer Competition. She has been a guest comedian on the Howard Stern Channel of Sirius XM, and a guest host on MTV. She recently filmed her standup television debut for AXS TV’s Gotham Comedy Live, hosted by William Shatner. She is also the winner of the 2016 Ladies of Laughter Competition.
In this conversation you will discover:
- How Jocelyn discovered she was funny
- How she transitioned from a career in Law to Standup Comedy
- How she built up her own confidence as a standup comic
- How she overcomes her nerves and anxiety before a big gig
- Her story that won The Moth Storyslams
- Jocelyn’s tips for telling great stories, as well as how to add humour to your own presentation
- How being Asian has helped her to build her career in standup
- Connect with Jocelyn on Facebook
- The Moth – open mic storytelling slams
- My podcast about my terrifying standup comedy experience
- See below for the video of her performance on Gotham Comedy Live (which she still hasn’t watched yet)
- Register for the Overcome Public Speaking Anxiety course — it’s available for pre-sale right now!
- Shout out to Mac’s List for featuring me on the ‘Find Your Dream Job’ podcast — click here to listen.