We THINK we’re busy…but the reality is…we really only put in a couple of quality hours of work per day.
Do you ever feel like you have a million and one things to do, yet at the end of the day feel like you’ve achieved…nothing?
Getting more done in less time is something many of us (me included) fantasise about.
Perhaps this is why this conversation I had with productivity expert and keynote speaker Hugh Culver was one of the most popular episodes from my first podcast!
So I’m bringing it back to share with you, as it’s something that affects all of us to a degree (raise you hands if you’ve lost valuable hours of productive time to Facebook or Instagram – yes, I’m talking to you ;))
Notes from this episode:
- Worrying about procrastination actually makes you procrastinate more!
- If you SAY you procrastinate, you probably will. So, you need to change how you think!
- Set boundaries of time – “scheduled unavailability” (a ‘meeting’ with yourself)
- Batch tasks like email in 10-15 minute chunks – it’s like doing the dishes or cooking
- Move things away from your desk – like your water bottle, rubbish bin etc. This forces you to get up and move!
- Did you know that sitting is the new cancer? Here’s how to avoid it!
- What are ‘manufactured distractions’, and how to overcome them
- Neil Fiore’s The Now Habit – How to “unschedule” – that is, Step 1: schedule the fun work first i.e. “In 30 minutes I go nuts on Twitter”. Step 2 – Work on quality work (single tasking). Step 3 – go back and count how much quality time you put in. Small wins!
- Also check out David Allen’s Getting Things Done
- Storytelling in your presentation – why stories are awesome!
- How to use stories: Hugh’s 3 step formula:
1. What’s the story?
2. What’s the lesson? (What the story means)
3. Application. (Examples of HOW to use the lesson, making it appropriate to the audience)
- Important: don’t just tell a story and move on…show how it’s relevant!
- Where to look for relevant stories if you don’t have a lot of ‘life experience’ (Hint: go to the movies!)
- Free stuff from Hugh!
Get in touch with Hugh:
Tweet him some love: https://twitter.com/HughCulver
Say hi on Facey: https://www.facebook.com/hugh.d.culver