Women in technical professions are often highly skilled, but a lack of confidence holds them back from speaking up, sharing their ideas and going for opportunities.
As a result, they are often undervalued and overlooked, leading to lower job satisfaction and slower career progression.
But that’s not you! You’re here because you KNOW you have the ability to improve your confidence and communication skills. And that’s what this episode is all about.
In this recording of my workshop for Girl Geek Dinners Melbourne, I share my 5 big ideas on how smart, ambitious women can understand their value, speak up, be more assertive and, as a result, get closer to achieving their career goals. Slides with the audio are below:
The 5 Big Ideas:
- How do you see yourself?
- Watch your language
- Your body speaks louder than words
- Ask: ‘What’s the worst that could happen?’
- There’s no such thing as ‘ready’
Podcast resources mentioned:
- How Do You See Yourself and Is It Holding You Back? [Episode 145 about ‘Identity’]
- Watch Your Language! How Words Can Impact Your Influence And Confidence [Episode 87]
- Simple & Effective Body Language Techniques with Blake Eastman [Episode 60]
- Best Of: Confidence & Overcoming Fear [Episode 110]
- Busking Challenge Part 3: Where I Perform on the Streets of Melbourne [Episode 16]
A few notes about this episode:
- The actual workshop including Q&A went for about an hour and a half, but I’ve edited some of the Q&A and sections where we did activities.
- Please note I recorded this with a lapel mic, and I do get excited and raise my voice, so I apologise if it sounds a bit distorted in places.
- There is a tiny bit of swearing, nothing extreme.
- We had a number of people asking questions, which you can’t hear in the recording, but I’ve done my best to add my own commentary to fill you in so it makes sense.
Big thanks again to Girl Geek Dinners Melbourne for having me speak, I had so much fun and from the audience’s response, it seems like they got a lot out of it too.
If you found this content valuable and would like to give your team the opportunity to further develop their confidence and skills in this area, I would be happy to speak with you about running a small group workshop or group coaching program for you and your team. Email me at: cc[at]thecmethod.com.
Or if you want to learn more about my 1:1 coaching programs, apply for the program here and we’ll book in a discovery session. In my experience, building confidence and strong communication skills doesn’t happen overnight – they take time to develop, which is why ongoing support and development is so important for making these skills stick 🙂